Work Experience can earn you Micro-Scholarships from colleges just like courses and activities do.
In this article
- What counts as work experience?
- How to add work experience to your Portfolio
- How do colleges award work experience?
- How to delete work experience
What counts as work experience or family service? What's the difference?
Work experience could be a few things: time spent getting paid for a skill or service, or time spent helping your family even if you were not paid.
As always with everything else on your Portfolio, though, only include work experience that you did during 9th-12th grade.
How to add work experience
Under the Work Experience section, click "Add."
- Where did you work? Can be anything- "Main St. Bakery," "at home," "family store," etc.
- What did you do? Could be a title, like "pizza delivery person," or could be a description: "I took care of my siblings while my parents were at work."
- Date Range: What days of the week, and between which dates? For example: Tuesdays and Wednesdays from June 30th until September 4th.
Note that you cannot enter a future date or choose "ongoing." We may add this feature in the future, but we want to ensure that students are not setting a future date or "ongoing" and earning for work they did not complete. Please update work experience the way you'd update grades.
- Time Commitment: in hours per day, and days per week.
- Did you get paid? Yes/No
- Did you do this to help support your family? For example, if you got paid and used that money to help your family, if you saved your family money by babysitting or doing other work around the house/at a family business, or in any other way helped your family financially, you should check Yes. If you worked a non-family job for spending money, even if the money went into savings for college, please check No.
- Describe your responsibilities: Give some details about what you did!
How do colleges award work experience?
As with anything on your Portfolio, like courses or activities, colleges may or may not offer Micro-Scholarships for work experience.
Those that do may choose to offer scholarships for specific types of work experience, or might put a maximum on how much you can earn for work experience.
As with all Micro-Scholarships, log in and go to a college's page and click "Your Scholarships" to see what they offer!
How to delete work experience
- Click on the work experience card to edit it.
- Click "delete" in the very bottom left corner and confirm that you want to remove it from your Portfolio.