Activities will earn you micro-scholarships from colleges for achievements like sports, music, and academic clubs.
In this article
- What counts as an activity?
- How to add an Activity
- How to add a leadership position
- How to delete an activity
What counts as an activity?
Generally, an activity is a sport or extracurricular; anything you did that wasn't a class, community service, work experience, etc. If you spent time on it before or after school and learned or practiced a skill, odds are high that you can count it on your Portfolio!
If you did it during school hours but didn't receive a grade, you can include it as well. For example, you might take Choir as a class but if you're practicing after school sometimes, and/or performing with your school sometimes, include it!
You can also include leadership positions you held at those activities - like if you were a class treasurer, student director, or team captain.
As always with everything else on your Portfolio, though, only include activities that you participated in during 9th-12th grade.
How to add an Activity (sports or extracurricular)
Under the Activities section, click "Add" and select "Sports" or "Extracurricular Activity."
- Title: Enter the name of the sport or activity: Volleyball, yearbook, Model UN, JV Football, etc.
- Location: Indicate whether you participated in this activity at your high school or outside of school.
- School or Organization: You'll need to select your school, or, for "Outside of School," you'll type in an organization. The organization doesn't have to be in our system - there will be suggestions as you type, but you can enter whatever you want.
- Time Commitment: Major, Medium, or Minor based on how many hours per week or year.
- Year(s): Select one academic year (Aug/Sept - May/June) or more than one.
- Description: Add optional details: "Played goalie all 4 years," "Took photographs for the yearbook," "Placed 1st at debate competition in 2016," etc.
How to add a leadership position
After adding an activity, click "Add Leadership Position" on the activity card.
- Position Title: Editor, Captain, Secretary, Student Director, Senior Tutor, etc.
- Year: Currently you can only select one year per leadership role, and the options are based on what you selected when creating the activity. If you held the same leadership role for more than 1 year, add a separate leadership role for each year onto the same activity.
- What did you do?: "Scheduled and helped run rehearsals," "Took notes at meetings and kept website uploaded," etc. Add as much detail as you'd like!
How to delete an activity
- Click on the activity to edit it.
- Click "delete" in the very bottom left corner and confirm that you want to remove the activity.